Through UU FaithAction New Jersey, we write letters, make public witness, distribute education materials, meet with legislators, and testify at public hearings. We have participated in campaigns to:
- Oppose fracking in the Delaware River Basin
- Increase the minimum wage in NJ and nationally
- Urge gun manufacturers to increase safety features
- Legalize marriage for all in NJ
- Reform immigration laws
- Support renewable energy legislation
The Social Justice Committee has also been working with UU FaithAction New Jersey to establish our congregation as part of Sanctuary/Fair and Welcoming Congregations: Rapid Response Teams.
Each team is made up of five smaller teams:
- The legal team works with lawyers and does intake with people who are victims of raids. They are trained as legal observers, and they document any violations of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments.
- The service team includes schools, social service agencies, faith groups, and others who help victims after raids. They provide food, accompany families to courts, help find care for the children if their parent or guardian is taken.
- The media team alerts the news media when a raid happens, organizes press conferences, and distributes information about the rapid response team in the community.
- The government team includes people who have connections with city officials or the governor or representatives. They lift up the stories of people affected to advocate for policies to prevent raids.
- The political action team mobilizes people if we need to plan a march or rally to pressure elected officials.
For more information please visit http://uulmnj.org/sanctuaryfair-and-welcoming-rapid-response-teams/